About Moments of Wealth
My name is Kristen Adams and I am happily, most of the time, married to Paul Adams since 2007. We live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest with our three children, Andrew, Reagan and Vivian. Paul is the founder of a financial advising firm. I am the Adams Household CEO, and I do everything from changing the lightbulbs to homeschooling our children and everything in between. You stay at home moms know how it is.
We have 3 little kids who are ages 4, 5, and 6. That is right. They were all born in 30 months. We like many people have busy lives and we live in a world that wants us to be more busy. We love the outdoors and we did over 20 camping trips last year in our RV.
It is easy to get distracted in life
- Programs that want us to enroll our kids.
- Toy makers constantly advertising to our kids
- Marketers are competing HARD every day to have my husband and I think we need more STUFF.
- New career and personal opportunities are constantly coming at my husband and I.
We have worked to live radically within our means while actively working together to create a vision of our family’s future that we can build toward and live into. We are Designing and Building a Good Life. We hope that you will join us as we catalog that journey here.
What are Moments of Wealth? They are times in life that we notice when life comes alive; we remember those moments, often in pictures or mental snapshots. Said another way, #MomentsOfWealth are the times that bring you joy, unrelated to how much income or assets you have.
I often think about the simple, though deep and profound, joys that come when walking in the front door of the house after a long day. Your children miss you and run up to greet you and your spouse gives you a kiss and asks about your day.
Too often people set up their lives in a way that they miss these simple #MomentsOfWealth. Instead
- They work at a job they don’t like;
- They choose to walk in the house while still on a their cell phone, shushing their excited kids;
- They are stressed and upset with their spouse due to excessive household debt;
- They feel terrible after working their body is unfit and they cannot engage meaningfully with their family
We have endeavored, over the last few years, to change our life so that we can experience a more “wealthy” life. This is not a job any of us are ever “done” with. Rather it is a journey; an ever refining set of habits and practices that help us Design and Build a Good Life.
While on this journey, we found two different general schools of thought:
- Blogs and online videos that teach individuals and couples how to save a lot of money on any income so that they can build financial independence.
- The other videos and blogs are typically of a single guy, talking about how to build a multi-million dollar business and live large.
While we have learned a great deal from both of these extremes, the problem is that neither of these extremes align fully with our values. We have been living in a way that is really against the general culture. While we have been in the top 1% from an income perspective for nearly a decade, we have not lived like those families at the same level of income. As we launch this blog we are also downsizing our home, to a home half the size (more posts to come on this part of our journey).
Our writing, videos and social media are all designed to help those of you that want to be on the same journey. Are you interested in:
- Living radically within your means, allowing you greater shock absorbers when life throws you a curveball?
- Being sure that you are staying centered on what is really important to you and your family, then making your career, business and lifestyle choices revolve around that?
- Regardless of your faith, are you committed to living out that faith as a role model for your children, and your community?
- Are you currently making a high income, and wanting to buck the system in the way everyone thinks you should live?
- Do you want to take better care of your health, so that you have the greatest opportunity to enjoy all of the life that you are granted?
If you answered yes to some or all of those questions, then this blog and the community we are creating is for you.
Please also let us know if you have any interest in guest posting to our blog. We will have high standards around authenticity and value to our readers.